Peel’s was established in 1924 and is the oldest honey brand in South Africa.
Peel’s was originally owned by Mr Jack Peel, who kept bees as a hobby. He began selling small quantities of honey and as demand grew he increased his hives.
In 1956 Jack met a local bee man, John Smith, and his wife, Faye. The two began working together and when Jack died in 1959, John took over the business. The Smith’s used to park their car next to the national road and people would buy from their boot. This progressed into a wooden Kiosk not far from the freeway. The current Peel’s shop was built more than 20 years ago and has become a popular landmark and stopping point on the scenic Midlands Meander.
The majority of our honey is sourced from more than 5,000 of our own hives across Kwa-Zulu Natal and the Orange Free State, the rest is sourced from local beekeepers.
We build strong partnership with beekeepers to ensure that we supply only the best quality honey from known sources.